Captain do Victories   Subscribe via RSS

04/07/2008 12:00 AM :

Boston Avenue Athletic Club Headquarters- It had been two years to the day since the B.A.A.C. and Alliance had met on the playing field (several forum battles and a forfeit have taken place in between). The last meeting went the way of the Alliance 2-1, in a hard fought match played under the lights. Red cards and fights are also no stranger to this affair if memory serves me right, so, as expected, this highly anticipated contest brought out a season high 13 fans.

The match marked the return of A's captain Ben Fell who prior to the game had been sidelined for 23 months with turf toe and bronchial congestion. Fell's arrival immediately gave a boost to an A's backline that up to this point had been accused of having a slight case of vertigo. Once the defense was in place, the midfield and the forwards quickly followed suit and on twenty minutes Andy Kern gave the A's there first lead of the season when his well placed volley beat the Alliance keeper. First half goalkeeper Eamon Henson came off of his line on several occasions to clear the ball safely out of danger and to reinforce the already sturdy back line as the A's went marched into the break with a solid 1-0 lead.

The Athletic's made it clear that they were going to take the game to their old rivals when 2 minutes into the half Andy Kern tried his luck again from twenty yards away. The effort left a bit to be desired but it certainly stamped the A's mark of intent on the game. With the momentum now in the B.A.A.C.'s favor it was only a matter of time until the lead was doubled and on 65 minutes that was exactly the case. Kyle Cermak's pass started the move and the goalkeeper standing completely outside of his goal mouth finished it.

At 2-0 up, the A's refused to become complacent and continued to put out the same effort that had earned them their lead.

"Every player did their part today. From the goalkeepers to the forwards, we proved that we don't have to put on an attractive show every time we play, we only have to show that we're more willing to grind it out." said jubilant A's skipper Ben Fell

With 15 minutes remaining the A's stuck the dagger into the heart of their old adversaries when Josh Knipfer's 50-yard pinpoint ball sent forward Sonny Dalesandro through one on one with the keeper. It is rumored that Dalesandro considered doing 36 different things with his opportunity prior to his final decision, in the end he just calmly slotted the ball along the ground past the goalkeeper, terribly boring, but effective.

With the three points secure the game did require a couple of top notch saves in order to keep the clean sheet clean and second half keeper Kevin "Fuzz" Coleman was equal to the task on every occasion.

Final score: 3-0

The tension will remain high for yet another week as arch-nemesis D.T.U. travel to the Vet next Sunday for the fiercest "slightly overweight/certainly out of shape/obviously past their prime" men's league rivalry in all of Northeastern Oklahoma. 5:00. Be there or�..just don't be�.fine!